Prism Photographic Club League Rules
League Subjects (digitally projected)
As per the Membership card – scores accumulated all year and overall winner get the trophy
You can enter 1 or 2 digital images for each topic. One image needs to have a (c) included in the title, so that image will be the one to be critiqued on the night. We have too many entries to critique them all. You get 1 point for entering (even if you enter 2 pictures). You vote for your favourite images, 1 is your favourite and so on. DO NOT vote for your own! The scores are accumulated, and the winner gets 5 points (in addition to the 1 for entering) 2nd place gets 4 points etc. If your picture places and you are not in attendance, one point will be deducted from your score; very occasionally this does mean someone will drop a place.
If you enter two images and they both place you get the score for both.
A stand-alone competition so winner takes the trophy
This is usually a place/ area. This year it is St Sampsons – which means so long as your are standing in St Sampsons (yes anywhere inside the boundry) your picture will count. This is an externally judged competition so please ensure you only write your name in pencil on the reverse as these have to be removed before they get sent to the judge (ideally buy some of our ready-made labels). A one part competition so whoever wins gets the trophy! You can enter 2 images per person, normal league size and mounted. Please remember to give your image a title.
A three-part Competition –scores accumulated and overall winner gets a trophy.
- Prism Open: Round 1- Monochrome: Open topic of anything as long as its monochrome (a single colour). Up to 2 entries per person, league size and mounted. This is externally judged, so write your names in pencil please. Top 5 placed images get points.
- Prism Open: Round 2 - Bailiwick: Any picture (colour / monochrome or whatever else there is) on any topic as long as it is within the Bailiwick. Up to 2 entries per person, league size and mounted. This is externally judged so write your name in pencil. Top 5 placed images get points.
- Prism Open: Round 3 – Open: Any image on any topic. Up to 2 entries per person, up to large size where the mount cannot exceed a maximum of 20” x 16”, with the longest side not less than 9”. This is externally judged so write your names in pencil. Top 5 placed images get points.
A two-part competition – scores accumulated and overall winner gets a trophy.
- Founders Trophy: Round 1 – ‘Freezing the action’ images : Digitally presented images (DPI) only, up to two per person. This needs to be submitted on a disk or emailed to me on or before the due date. You need to re-size the image to max 1400 pixels wide and or max 1050 pixels high, preferably with the canvas size also set to 1400 pixels high and 1050 wide in black (so all the images are presented the same. If you cannot do this please ask – do not let it stop you entering!
- Founders Trophy: Round 2 – ‘Panoramic’: Again DPI and up to two per person as above.
Prism Bailiwick Landscape Trophy
Up to 2 entries per person (images must be taken in the Bailiwick) up to large size where the mount cannot exceed a maximum of 20” x 16”, with the longest side not less than 9”. This is externally judged so write your names in pencil.
James Machon has devised a method for judging these images which will give you a breakdown of how your images scored out of 10 different categories. The winner wins the Trophy.
Best Print and Best Portrait
Main Stand-alone Competition – the winner of the Print Section and the winner of the Portrait section both get a Trophy and of these two the overall winner is chosen, who gets anther Trophy!
Best Print: Your best image of the year, any topic and colour etc. Up to 2 entries per person, up to large A3 size and mounted.
Best Portrait: Your best portrait of the year. Up to 2 entries per person, up to large size where the mount cannot exceed a maximum of 20” x 16”, with the longest side not less than 9”.
Prism / Guernsey Photographic Club, and Prism / Spectrum take it in turn to host an evening when the visiting clubs have chosen the subject. At present the entries are up to A4 in size and up to two images. Note – this does NOT include the larger square format size now allowed for Prism competitions.
One last note on competitions – due to the number of people doing the preparing of prints for externally judged competitions you must all adhere to the same guidelines. Please ensure your name is on the reverse of the image (in pencil), with your chosen title and the name of the competition clearly visible on the reverse of each print entered. Do not leave any bags or boxed with your images. The best idea is to use the labels available to buy on club nights. If you miss any information the image may be withdrawn from the competition. There will be no extensions this year – so be warned and get prepared.
Please don’t hesitate to ask committee members if there are any points which need explaining!